Friday, September 14, 2012

Come, Sail Away!

Welcome, Landlubbers! The breeze is light and steady, here at Cairn Cottage. The sun is high in the afternoon sky and I am ready to sail away in my nautical 4-season sun room. This is my favorite room in our quaint cottage on the lake. Fortunately for me, the previous owners also liked the nautical theme and had decorated the walls with a lighthouse themed wallpaper. The colors went perfectly with many items I already owned. I have recently been decorating our entryway, which is on one side of the room. My padded wood bench is the perfect spot to put on shoes or just rest a bit before going outside.


Pillows were added for comfort and color. A southern window ushers in lots of natural light!
 Here is a close-up of the stitching on the blue pillow. I just love the nautical theme of a map compass. The pillow also came with rope surrounding the outside of it, attached with loops of material.
I have also hung a shelf on the wall with hooks for hats, totes, and jackets.
Today, I decided to take my lunch on deck, {that is, here at the bench}. I just propped up one of my folding TV trays. It was quite a comfy little spot for a quick bite.
I had a turkey sandwich on wheat bread, pototo chips, and fresh cucumbers. Yum! Cool, fresh bottled water was my drink.
For dessert, Reese's peanut butter cup cream pie!! It was a store bought pie(actually made by "Edwards" and was in the freezer section of the grocery) , but still so deliciously rich!!
After lunch, a cup of tea just hits the spot. We have some very friendly neighbors here. I have 2 teacups set out, just in case one of them stop by for a chat. I'll be ready to pour them a cup. This dry sink sits next to the bench. A perfect spot to serve tea (or set my keys or purse down as I get ready to go out the door). I collect cobalt blue glass (much of this display was handed down to me by my mother, who had collected several pieces before I had gotten into collecting them).
Boats, especially sailboats, are a new love of mine. I found this teapot at an antique mall this past week and decided it would fit in perfectly with my nautical theme.
There is printing on the bottom, but it is very fuzzy and hard to make out. I did look up sailboat teapots and found out that it says "Porcelier Vitreous Ware China Made in the USA."  It also came with a metal coffee filter that fits on top of the pot when the lid is off, if someone prefers coffee, instead of tea! (Not sure if it originally came with it or not.) The Porcelier Company went out of business around 1954, which would date the teapot to at least that year or older.
This cobalt blue sugar and creamer set are also perfect for my nautical tea party.
I decorated the window behind the dry sink with fishnetting and attached seashells that our family has collected from beaches at the ocean on various vacations. You can see the lake out this window, too!
I love how the sun brings out the vintage blue color!
Well, I hope you enjoyed your visit to my nautical entrance area. All this beautiful sunshine, food, and tea has made me a bit sleepy. Think I'll go down to the cabin and "Stretch Off the Land" - Old sailing ship term for taking a nap.

Ann
“Better joy in a cottage than sorrow in a palace” Spanish Proverb

  Linking up at these blog hops:

11 comments:

  1. Ann, I am so happy for you, that your dream to move to the lake happened! I like your sunroom, love the blue bottles and the netting. Like your nautical teapot too, and the pie looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! So glad you enjoyed my new little room! Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  2. Hello Ann,
    Your entry way is really cute the way you have it decorated. My hubby would love it! Your blues are wonderful and I love your new teapot! Your dry sink reminds me of my stereo stand which is fashioned much the same way. So happy you have joined me for tea today. Enjoy your week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandi! I do love this new little area in my home that welcomes guests! Thank you for coming over to my blog!

      Delete
  3. Ann, this is quite lovely - how amazing it must be to be living by the lake! Love all the nautical decor! The net is inspired! Your mother's blue dishes are gorgeous - all very lovely! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! It has been fun decorating this area! I always love stopping out to your blog hop and posts! So much fun!

      Delete
  4. What wonderful decor for your sunroom! I have a sunroom as well with blue glass where the sun can shine through it. It makes me so happy! Your tea setting (and your lunch too) look wonderful! Thanks for sharing your nautical theme. My sunroom is a bit eclectic, but as we are at the ocean it has some seaside touches too. Wonderful!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what it is, but the Cobalt blueware always has made me feel good, too! So pretty! Oh, I would love to live by the ocean, but being in the Midwest, the biggest body of water nearby is Lake Michigan!

      Delete
  5. Hey there! I was over at Sandi's blog and saw your entry for Tea Time and thought I would stop by :) Your teapot is adorable and the pie looks very tempting. The pictures had my tummy wanting some of it.
    Have a wonderful day!

    Blessings,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment, Stephanie! It's great to get to know you. I'm so glad you enjoyed my post and pictures! Blessings to you, friend!

      Delete
  6. Love your nautical look! So pretty! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed!! (Except for anonymous users and spammers!)