Saturday, January 10, 2015

BUNDLE UP! My Favorite Subzero Winter Attire

Winter has hit our area, full-force! This time of year, I'm always reminded that, especially in the below 0 Fahrenheit temps, we need to bundle up, with extra layers!!
 I love this article on dressing for winter! 
(Click here to read it.)

With the suggestions made in the article, I want to share what I love to wear in this freezing winter weather:
1. A thick coat
A good coat is the most important thing any(one) can own. . Additionally, a hood on the coat is beneficial when trying to stay warm.
On the coldest days, my outdoor attire - A fur-lined suede coat(it must weigh over 10lbs!!), Sherpa-lined boots, corduroy leggings, leg-warmers, fur-lined gloves, and knit scarf/hat. I also own a pair of snow(ski) pants, if I need to ever walk through the foot-high snow drifts!

2. A scarf (I love to wear in a variety of ways)
Scarves do not just have to be fashion accessories — a scarf is a good way to cover up exposed necks and stay snug during the colder months.
8 ways to wear your scarf via WitandDelight
3. Gloves 
Sometimes, it’s necessary to carry things in the cold and pockets will do no good. To keep hands from turning into popsicles, invest in a good pair of gloves. 
My gloves and combination scarf/hat.

4. Ear muffs/winter hat 
For people with coats that lack hoods, ear muffs or a winter hat are necessary to keep ears warm. Winter hats, ear muffs and even thick headbands come in a vast variety of styles that are sure to satisfy anyone’s tastes.
5. Winter boots
A pair of boots with a warm lining can go a long way in keeping feet toasty. Additionally, it is better to have a pair of boots when sloshing through wet snow compared to any other type of shoe.
I have an assortment of snow-proof, lined, winter boots for different occasions.!

6. Thick socks(and leggings with leg-warmers)
Having a thick pair of socks goes hand-in-hand with wearing warm boots. A good option are wool socks, although it is imperative to make sure they are not so thick that they don’t fit in the boot.
I love long, thick winter socks!(I even wear them around the house.)
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/266134659205648495/
Additionally, I love leg-warmers! Below are my ankle boots, worn with leg-warmers over the top.

7. (Bulky)Sweaters/layers
Even if somebody has all of the above, it is essential to have sweaters and layers on hand to actively combat the cold weather. These layers could come in the form of thermal shirts, leggings or long underwear.
 These are a few of my favorite warm, cozy sweaters!
8. Hand warmers(Hmm...I don't have any, but great idea)
Hand warmers are air-activated heat packs that can fit inside pockets. For anyone who spends a significant amount of time outside, these are a great way of having a safe and concentrated heat source.


My own added faves:

9.  Vests
My favorite warm, fuzzy vest!
(This thermal shirt has extra long sleeves with thumb holes in the cuff.)


I also shared a black and gray vest in my last "What's in My Closet" post. It is lined with fur, as well! I wear it often.


10. The Blanket/Poncho  - I love these, and I will be sharing my 'blanket' outfits in a future post.
Outfits | Rose & Fig

BLANKET SCARF THREE WAYS




/
all blanket photos found on my Pinterest page
 For everyone who also has been experiencing this polar weather, stay warm!! 
And dress appropriately, when you go out and brave the cold.

Ann
“Better joy in a cottage than sorrow in a palace” 
Spanish Proverb

Linking up at these parties:

5 comments:

  1. lovely ways to keep warm. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine. Thanks, also, for hosting!

      Delete
    2. Ann,
      what cute options you've shown for keeping warm in a cold climate, keeping warm is what it's all about! We lived in WI for 3 years, moving from NC, and learned real fast about cold weather and what we needed to wear! The pieces you've shown are quite stylish and fun!
      Thanks for visiting! I'm your newest follower and would love for you to do the same!
      rebecca

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for stopping by and following me, Rebecca! I'm so glad you enjoyed my post! I have been to WI and it does get really cold there, too!! I'm following you back on Pinterest and Google+

      Delete
  2. What a change from our 70 degrees today! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, and for the practical, cute style tips.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed!! (Except for anonymous users and spammers!)